Monday 15 December 2008

ALI Project style Anpanman no March!

I think the song on this video is really funny and brilliant, in a way. :D

ALI Project style Anpanman no March

Now, I know jokes don't work if you have to explain them, but I will anyway...

There is a much-loved popular long running small-children's anime called Anpanman. It is about the adventures of a hero whose head is made of a dessert which is bread filled with red bean paste, and his friends (and enemies) whose heads are also food and household objects and strange things. There's a theme song that I keep hearing (for Soreike! Anpanman), called Anpanman no March; in videos of NHK anime song concerts, in Taiko No Tatsujin games, Karaoke Revolution games, and so on. It's performed by a female twin duo called Dreaming, who are so synchronised in their performances and interviews that I find them a bit unnerving.

There is also a music group called ALI Project, whose work I really really like. I first heard them doing the OP to the anime series Noir, then I bought a non-anime album of theirs called "EROTIC & HERETIC" - which is a great album, and have liked their work ever since - the music to Avenger is the best part of the series and I listen to that soundtrack a lot, as well as their work on the .hack//ROOTS soundtracks and Rozen Maiden OP/ED themes, Code Geass ED, etc. Their current sound is distinctive; a combination of electronic and classical music, sometimes seemingly entirely chaotic at first listen but with a ton of depth to explore with further listens. They increasingly present a feeling of class and dignity and mystery, and often feature complex gothic and dark lyrics, often with references to bondage and other strictly adult themes.

So there's a big contrast from Anpanman to ALI Project. When I'd finished laughing, I realised just how brilliant the song in this video is, bridging the gap so naturally and hilariously. It sounds recognisably in the distinctive style of ALI Project, and the song suits the treatment incredibly well. The tune to "Anpanman no March" sounds like a classical piece in parts which helps, it's just really well done.

I wish the sound quality on the video was better though. XD