Friday 12 December 2014

999 "Trepidation" theme and Baba Yaga

Today, thanks to thinking about games in the "Elite" series, I find myself listening to some classical music I haven't heard in a long time. Baba Yaga, part of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition. It's a wonderfully crazy, chaotic piece, I like it a lot.

Here's someone playing it (well) on piano:


And here's a full orchestra:


I like it best on piano, played like the piano's giving off electric shocks. :)

I found myself wondering for the first time ever... the incredibly atmospheric, freaky "oh no something terrible's happened" music in the Nintendo DS game "9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors" (or 999).. I wonder if it was at all inspired by the hits at the start of Baba Yaga. According to this YouTube video, it's called "Trepidation". There's definitely call for trepidation in the scenes where it's used!




I'm just tying together some unrelated pieces of music I find impactful and evocative (but in completely different ways). :)

No comments: