Sunday 27 July 2008

Shojo Kakumei Utena Complete CD Box (Ltd Ed)

I just noticed there's a limited release CD box set of Utena soundtracks coming out.

Shojo Kakumei Utena Complete CD Box / Animation

Catalog No.: KICA-920
Format: CD
Number of discs (or other units): 10
Release Date: 2008/08/27
Price: 12000yen (12600yen Tax incl.)
Item weight: 840 g

As far as I can see, it contains every soundtrack and has a bonus disk of house remixes, it comes in a nice display box, with a 100 page booklet. Well, I could be wrong about that because that's according to Neowing when roughly auto-translated by Rikaichan. Perhaps if you can read Japanese, the official website will be more accurate and helpful.

The music to Utena is really really great. Most of the music is by Mitsumune Shinkichi - some peaceful, some experimental and jazzy, the big choral battle themes for duels by J.A.Seazer - which are really the high points of the soundtracks for me - there hasn't been much like those songs before or since, and the opening theme sung by Okui Masami. All fitting really well within the series, where it wants to be peaceful, where it wants to be contemplative, where it wants to be weird and experimental, etc. I highly recommend this collection. Most of the original releases of the CDs are out of print now.

I need to look through my collection to find out whether it would be worth me picking this up, or I own most of it anyway (I'm not too bothered about house remixes).

Preorder at CD Japan: Shojo Kakumei Utena Complete CD Box [Limited Release], or if you prefer - preorder from Play Asia who might be a little more expensive for the item but cheaper on shipping... but I would trust CD Japan far more for a preorder, as I've known people disappointed on launch day with Play Asia in the past.

(If you're wondering, yeah I'd collect commission if you click through on either link, and I'll collect less from CD Japan if you opt for that but still recommend them the highest for preorders. Play Asia are great if the product is in stock but sometimes don't meet the demand of their popular preorders.)

Utena is also being rereleased on remastered Japanese region 2 DVDs, at the end of September, but it costs 30000 yen for the first DVD box only (24 episodes of 39) so I think the full set will cost more than a car...