Sunday 15 July 2007

SRWOG & GDF

Over this weekend, I intended to play a load of PS2 games with my brother, but ended up only playing two:

* Super Robot Wars Original Generations
* Global Defense Force

SRWOG is quite fun. ^_^ And Ryusei seems a good kind of guy. ^_^ ... what we did was... I got out my SRTOG (US GBA) cartridge and played that alongside the new Japanese PS2 version, so I would have a quick translation in front of me. However, the text in the PS2 version seems more in depth than on the GBA game, and I accidentally ended up on two different routes right from the first stage. You see, I'd spent ages trying to get the skill point on the first stage on the PS2 version, and couldn't be bothered on the GBA version, and I think that's why the stories were different and the game was a little harder on PS2. Diverging story, right from the first stage! O_O

It's also a bit awkward that the GBA menus are all laid out in one way, and the PS2 menus are in another way. That's because the amount of space available on the GBA screen is small, but the PS2 version has a luxurious amount in comparison... it's not meant to be used as a translation device for the PS2 game, either!

Global Defense Force is what I played at about 2am while I was asleep. It's pretty much identical to the first game, in format, that is, for the first few levels I played through... except... you now get a widely different choice of soldier to use. For the first two levels - set in London, whee! I accidentally helped destroy London! - I used the default soldier as in the first game. Then on the 3rd level, Tokyo, I decided to try out wave something plasma bullets... and I was like... "what is this? The Akihabara Defense Force???" because the character you get to control looks... *just like Halko Momoi in her kind of cosplay outfit* *kills things with lasers* *and can fly*. Ha! Brilliant!

She can't use vehicles, that's her limitation. But being able to fly...! She flies just like the people in Robot Alchemic Drive (R.A.D) (another Sandlot game), ah, it's so much fun!

And so I'm just blasting away, spinning round, playing "Momo-i VS the Giant Ants" and thinking... that would make a great concept album... or something... this is a good fun game, it least it was for me, but my brain was fast asleep...

I found a video of some gameplay, if you want a look. The picture's a bit dark and dull, and you don't get to see the hilarious image of giant ants flying off everywhere, but... you'll get the idea!

Oh yeah, I'm still playing Etrian Odyssey too. ^_^ I'm on the 4th Stratum!