Tuesday 22 February 2011

Nintendo 3DS - first impressions

I had a chance to try a 3DS in a shop over the weekend.

It didn't have any games for it, the lady demoing it was just taking 3D pictures with the built-in camera, and there was a little Augmented Reality game where you shoot a floating head in the room where you're standing.

It was kind of ok, but I didn't really like it.

It's got a 3D effect and if you move your head a little to the sides, it moves along with that, but if you move too far it really breaks the picture and you see two completely different ones.

I ended up feeling a bit odd after looking at it for a while. Mildly disoriented.

I don't really like it.

I found myself thinking.... it's really not going to be good as a proper portable like that; I mean, if you're planning on using it while on a bus or train - the bumps as you travel are going to mess things up.

Oh and it probably won't be the same for proper games, but when you switch the console from 3D to 2D, and you're looking at a photo, it makes the photo seem horribly fuzzy and low res.

So now I've seen one, I am definitely thinking [no thanks].

I dunno, when all you have to compare is *actual reality*, the fake 3D effect just isn't impressive.

No comments: