Sunday 19 October 2008

Thoughts on various games

I've been xboxing a lot this weekend. ^__^ I decided to keep away from my family and my boyfriend and do the really terribly unhealthy thing of doing nothing but playing videogames. (No really... it's good for me once in a while... I think... hehe)

Here are some thoughts on games I have played recently:

Surf's Up is a pretty good game, even though it's a game tied in with a kids' film. It's just really short! It's a surfing game, all about scoring points for doing tricks... kind of like.... a skating game on rails? SSX without the downhill sloping terrain? And just a hint of "Nights into Dreams if you could only go forwards"...

Mega Man 9 is awesome in its 8-bit glory. It's as though it's the world's last NES game, with authentic-sounding music (that is deliberately limited in channels so that it cuts out one when sound effects are heard), deliberate little graphical glitches when sprites are just on the edge of the screen or too many on screen or whatever (you can switch the glitch off in the options!), deliberate slowdown in places... it really feels like a game from the 1908s! And it's really difficult! Or at least, it seems that way until you replay it a few times and then you know exactly what to expect and it's not so hard... and you feel proud of yourself as you progress. In a lot of cases when I first started playing it felt like the Jinsei Owata no Daibouken ("Your Life Is End") flash game because when I would finally succeed and get to the next screen I was rewarded with unexpected spikes and death, or unexpected enemy and death, etc. You just progress slowly one screen at a time, die and work your way back to that screen... I've only killed 3 bosses so far! But I still feel enough enjoyment and fighting spirit to go on! :D

Fusion Frenzy 2 is a terrible game, and was a chore to play. I mean, even low budget party games like "Party Girls" for PS2 are way better than this.