Sunday 19 October 2008

TMNT - 2007 video game

TMNT is a lot more fun than I though it would be from the box. I thought it would be (another) endless hordes melee battle game, but it's more of a free-running style 3D platform game (with fight scenes). Normally I hate 3D platform games because I'm terrible at them and can't judge distance or direction when jumping, but I like this game because a lot of the time if you can't make the jump you can just run along the walls instead or something. It gives you a lot of freedom to get from A to B using the skills you know, rather than just playing the game in the rigid fashion the game designer thought you should play it, and I have a lot of respect for that. It's also often spectacular just to watch yourself play, zooming about the place. There's a lot more emphasis on the "Ninja" part of the title in this game than you often see in TMNT games, especially in the way they move around the city - it's quite fun. Raphael (who is mostly an agressive moody loner in this game) also spends a few levels in the guise of a vigilante, calling himself "The Nightwatcher", but in that armour I can only think "he's a sentai character pretending to be a metal hero!". This game is based on a recent (2007) Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film, and... it's kinda dark-feeling and there is more about the internal feud between the turtles than there is with the storyline against the bad guys - maybe it's more like the old comic books. I kind of like the way they narrate the story all the way through as if reminiscing it to each other "ooh ooh the best bit comes next!", but unfortunately... to me that also works as a barrier that prevents me from feeling really involved or excited about what's happening in the story. Even though there isn't much of one. Still, it's quite fun to just jump around and enjoy the sights of leaping from rooftop to rooftop in the big city, and marvel as they scramble along walls over toxic waste in sewers...