Monday 26 October 2009

The Maw - review

Earlier this month, I decided to buy the game: The Maw, which was the first game made by the company who made Splosion Man, which is still my favourite game this year. I bought it on Xbox 360 Live Arcade.

Three hours after buying it, I had finished it. The following day I played for another hour and 100% completed it. I then visited my boyfriend who had bought the DLC levels (I thought they cost too much, considering the main game was so short), and 100% completed them too, though I admit that they were more substantial.

So...

Pros:

  • I liked the scenario; alien worlds, getting this monster to eat everything

  • Really cute and funny characters, animations and voices

  • Gorgeous graphics



Cons:

  • Very short game, not great value for money

  • The main character walks too slowly, and I felt I was backtracking too much over grassy areas to find hidden creatures for the maw to eat

  • (Xbox 360) Bizarre leaderboards - averaging out amount eaten over time.


I can see why it won independant game awards, and I am glad they made enough money on it to make Splosion Man!