Wednesday 24 March 2010

Ada Lovelace Day

I've spent all day trying to think of a single woman to nominate in celebration of Ada Lovelace Day, but I couldn't think of one. Celebrating women in science and technology, one that's inspired me into working in technology, hmm.

I went off to an event and spent half the evening talking to a woman who seemed to know everything about everything. We talked about women working with science, tecnology and mathematics, of encryption, passport technology and identity theft, atomic science, relationships and conformity, youth and reliance on technology, of societies and hardship, wicker baskets and autocad, archaeology and history... wow, what a knowledgeable person! *_*

At first I didn't want to go to the event at all, because I thought it sounded a bit too gimmicky, and... there is always the threat of the type of feminism that's about dominance rather than equality. Especially these days where equality is the norm, you get people saying all sorts of foolish old-fashioned things, you know? But, it turned out to be a fascinating and inspirational event after all.

I still have no idea who to nominate.

When it comes to science or technology, it's easier to recognise a method, a product, a service as being something that's a breakthrough... not so easy to recognise individuals. Do I nominate Ada Lovelace herself as the inventor of programming, since that's what I do every working day of my life? How about Marie Curie? Or those women who did vital intelligence work in World War II?

I think overall, the women in science and technology who have helped me the most to get where I am today, and have inspired me further in technology, are probably the teachers I had at the various schools I attended, my maths teacher in college, the female lecturers, faculty and staff in the Comp Sci department at the University of Durham and (as it was) 3F Ltd, and all my colleagues at TechnoPhobia Ltd.

Oh what a cop out! :P

But I have to make this clear: most of the men working at all those places were great too! :D