Tuesday 29 April 2008

Spectral Souls - Resurrection of the Ethereal Empires

This game is for the PSP, and I bought the American version released by NIS America. Official site. It's a strategy RPG developed by Idea Factory, and the Spectral Souls series is a long-running series of theirs. This is the only one of the series released in English though.

When I started this up, it struck me that the "Disc Access" and "restoring data - please wait" messages looked very bad - as though this was an 8-bit console rather than PSP. Then it struck me that I was seeing those "Disc Access" messages an awful lot. Then it struck me that the dialogue is hilariously badly written. And again, that it needed to load everything. It needs to load about every line of dialogue, every move in battle, and the save game screen asks you if you want to delete any save for any game off your memory stick as default (even though there's tons of free space), and made me enter the name for the file with the stupid PSP browser txt msg text-entry system every time I wanted to save. It's a terribly badly made game!

Which is a shame because I got the feeling that it might be decent as a game, and I like the idea that I can orchestrate what order each army moves in the war, with different stories unfolding depending on what I choose to do.

If only it wasn't wasting my time making me wait every few seconds! It's really irritating!