Friday 20 February 2009

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection - first impressions

My copy of the Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection arrived yesterday, and I played with it for a few hours in the evening. My initial reaction:

:D

==
I'm loving the Sega Megadrive Ultimate Collection for Xbox 360.

It seemed good enough when there were just 40 games in the collection, but it turned out that there are 9 more games to unlock! (Some arcade games, Fantasy Zone, and the first Phantasy Star game...)

The achievements have done their job in getting me to try and play games I hadn't played before, which is nice. Comix Zone for one looks really good and plays really well too, and I'd never heard of it before. I think I'll get a lot out of that one. Some games though..... must be included because they hold nostalgia value for other gamers but don't appeal to a newcomer like me. I'm thinking that the opposite will apply too, since I love Flicky but I don't know about everyone else!

Two slightly negative things:
* The box art in this UK version is all of US copies of the games. That's just weird! There are no notes / info pages on the bonus games either.

* I don't know whether it's the emulation or the clarity of my stereo system compared with my old equipment, but some of the sound doesn't sound right. I'm just saying because I played Fatal Labyrinth on a real Mega Drive a few months ago and the opening wasn't all uncomfortable noise. Some other moments in other games gave me that feeling too....