Wednesday 9 July 2008

Beautiful Katamari

I bought a copy of this cheap online, it arrived last Saturday morning, at which point I immediately put it into my machine and had a go. Katamari Damacy is probably my favourite game of all time, you see, so I wanted to play my copy of the latest game for Xbox 360 as soon as possible. Then about 30 minutes later, I stopped because I had to leave and catch a train. I returned Sunday night. Worked all Monday. Somehow by Tuesday, I had finished the game. Even though I was also playing Space Giraffe and trying some Live Arcade demos.

Wow, this game must have lasted me about 5 hours maximum. It's the shortest full-price game I've played in a long time. Though I didn't get great scores on some of the stages, so I could go back... but that won't make it much longer.

There are lots of levels that are only available if you buy them separately and then get them with the download service. They cost 200 XBL points each, which works out as about £1.70 each, which seems cheap but that soon adds up! I really think those stages should have been built into the game, especially as it's so short. I bought two of the levels, though, just to see. I super-cleared one of them on the first try, so that wasn't much good value for money.

It's better than the PSP Katamari game. It's still far worse than the first one, and the second. But then again, the first game is made out of love, diligence, and good level design, and each following game has had a little less of all of those qualities each time. At least, that's my observation.

The online play is quite nice, I briefly tried it, but there's barely anyone playing it online anymore since it's now an "old" game.