Thursday 3 July 2008

My new Xbox 360 (2)

Well, I played on my new console for the remainder of the evening.

My adventures in xboxing so far have won me 40 Gamerscore points from 5 achievements. The MadCatz USB joystick is actually pretty nice.

I played some Dynasty Warriors Gundam, then Dead Or Alive 4, then Blue Dragon, and finally I explored what's taking up nearly 10GB on my hard drive and found a bunch of adverts, videos, and a puzzle game called Hexic HD. So I tried that too.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam is a very friendly kind of DW game, it's nice to be able to rocket power your way round a map in a hurry, and it's clear what to do and where to go. I only played through the first two stages of Amuro's official story route.

Dead or Alive 4 seems faster than any other DOA game I've seen. It's pretty, but all the others from the 2nd one onwards have been, too. ^_^ I only played through the story mode with 2 characters - Hayate and Ayane; I like those two. ^_^ Every time I encounter Bayman, he beats me so easily! I need to learn to counter effectively! The credits weren't in the booklet, and I didn't see them for completing story mode... :/

Blue Dragon - I only started it, though it was already about time for me to go to bed. The direction is good from what I've seen - it feels like a children's adventure film. It feels cinematic. It lets you run around during the opening credits if you're feeling hyperactive, which is cute. Akira Toriyama's character designs have been brought to life in a really nice way - I don't think I've ever seen his work brought to 3D in as nice a way as this, before. The first monsters we encountered were "poo snakes", which are like Dr Slump poo with arms and legs and a snake head, holding a spear. XD The music is top quality Nobuo Uematsu, I just stood around in some scenes to listen for a bit before moving on. So far, it reminds me most of the Final Fantasy IX soundtrack, really nice. As I said, it was already past bedtime, so I only got to the 2nd save point and quit. I might buy myself a copy of the soundtrack...

Hexic HD is a really really boring puzzle game. No sense of urgency, very difficult to get into a game-over situation... after a while I just got bored and waited for an opportunity to get Game Over, and quit. I'd somehow locked 3 achievements on it already, though. :D

I think I will need to call customer support tonight -

* The wireless controller does nothing but flash at me. :/
* The clock goes back to 2005 after I switched it off and slept overnight. :/

I found the power supply to the router this morning! The xbox autodetects an IP address, but can't get to a DNS lookup... I think I need to sort out my network. :(