Sunday 27 July 2008

Beware of faulty DS Lite adapters

I read a newspaper article last week, saying that there have been a spate of incidents surrounding cheap Nintendo DS Lite chargers that you can buy on ebay or wherever. One electrocuted a seven year old boy. I've since found a BBC news report on it.

There weren't any photos with the article in the newspaper and it was only a few lines long, but yeah.. I think I own one of those chargers (since I have an American DS Lite and wanted a convenient replacement charger) so I thought I'd post and help get the word out there.

It cost me £6 on ebay, which I think is a fair amount and the genuine ones are overpriced. No really, that's a lot for a power adapter. You can get a USB one for £2 (at Play Asia) and they're perfectly safe, after all. But, that's one way you can tell it's likely to be a fake. Also, if you take a look at the photos below, two things are noticeable.




One is that the wire is coming loose. I can imagine it becoming a little frayed and then, yeah, electrocution... the other thing that's noticeable is that the top pin is made out of plastic. There is no earth pin on this plug! It's very unsafe.

It also gets unusually warm when being used, and is unshielded - when I switch it on, it causes terrible interference if I'm listening to am-band radio.

It has a CE mark on it, which normally indicates that it passed EU regulations, but they probably just printed it there themselves.

So if you have one of these as well... go get yourself a replacement DS Lite charger!